In 2007, I was recruited by the Group ESC Rennes to join their faculty as an "Assistant Professor". The Business School routinely encourages professors to secure consulting assignments from French companies in order to build accreditation for the ESC business program. The School’s published guidelines encourage this activity to enhance the School’s reputation and increased market presence. Because of my professional experience in Asia and my dual Sino-French business credentials, the French Post Office offered me a consulting assignment to attend “Mobile Asia Congress in Macao”. The total amount of the contract was 3000 Euros. Before signing this contract, the project was approved by the Administration of the School. Complying with the School’s standing policy, Group ESC Rennes would take 15% of my consulting fee (or 450€), leaving the 85% balance (or 2550€) as compensation for my report that analyzed and summarized information and trends presented at the wireless forum.
After I fulfilled my contractual requirements, the Post Office paid my 3000€ consulting fee directly to the School. Without any prior discussion or notice to me, Group ESC Rennes decided to change the terms of the contract. Despite my understandable protests, the School refused to pay me. By July of 2008, I received a notice of dismissal for contrived allegations of incompetence as an instructor and spurious complaints about my academic credentials, research and publications.
I viewed these actions as a deliberate attempt to defame me and cause lasting damage to my professional standing. These false allegations became a matter of court record. During the legal proceedings, the School refused to acknowledge my rights as a French National and criticized my academic achievements. Despite earning a masters and a doctorate from well regarded universities in Paris, Group ESC Rennes stated that my PHD diploma was “second rate”.
The Labour Court of Rennes reviewed my case on May 30, 2011, (a three year delay) and eventually decided the case in my favor. I note a few key points:
- The Labour Court ruled that the dismissal of Mme. Tang by the Group ESC Rennes was not based on cause, and it’s (the dismissal) without any reason and truth.
- Condemns the Group ESC Rennes to pay Mme. TANG XXXXX€ for damages and 1500€ of legal fees, under Article 700 of the CPC.
- Condemns the Group ESC Rennes to reimburse the Pôle Emploi (the division employment) for six months of benefits on the basis of Article L1235-4 of the Labour Code.
- The Group ESC Rennes should reimburse all administrative expenses of the Court.
During these 3 years, I relied upon many people who supported my cause in Labour Court and encouraged me not to give up. I would like to express my sincere gratitude to all of you for your assistance.